5.26.2009

Red Velvet Cupcakes

Memorial Day weekend was approaching and I was having another family get together. I wanted to make a dessert to bring and figured this would be the best time to make red velvet cupcakes. I know most of my family have never tried them before and I have been dying to make them again...perfect timing!

One of the things that I do when baking with flour, probably obvious to some, is to sift it; it makes everything smoother and gets rid of those nasty flour clumps.

My favorite thing about making red velvet cupcakes is that the are such a vibrant color. They are always something people just love to look at and eventually eat.


Another important thing I always think about when making cupcakes is what kind of baking cup I will bake the cupcakes in. The finished presentation of the cupcakes is about 1/3 of the overall cupcake eating experience.


Ingredients & Directions:

Red Velvet Cupcakes

3 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
¾ tsp salt
3 large eggs
¾ cup softened butter
2¼ cups granulated sugar
1½ tsp vanilla extract
2 Tbsp red food coloring
1½ cups buttermilk
1½ tsp baking soda
1½ tsp vinegar



Frost the cupcakes. I use a piping bag with a large circular tip, but I have used a sandwich bag before with a small hole cut out of the corner. Then sprinkle with some chocolate sprinkles, or jimmies if your from the North. One thing I do when adding sprinkles to cupcakes is to put the cupcakes on a wire rack over the sink. This way sprinkles that fall off the cupcakes can be simply washed away.

No comments:

Post a Comment