10.25.2009

Squash Cream Sauce


I love making different types of sauces for pasta and with it being fall I wanted to make something fall-like. I had a butternut squash in the refrigerator and decided I would use that, but wasn't sure what to do. I went to the trusty internet and googled squash sauce. I found a recipe that I have adapted here, but I will be revisiting this recipe and making the whole thing, not just the sauce. Check it out!

Ingredients & Directions:
(recipe adapted from here)

1 but­ter­nut squash
2 T but­ter
1 Onion, chopped
salt and pep­per to taste
1 C heavy cream
1/2 C grated parme­san cheese
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 C apple juice

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut the squash in half length­wise and remove seeds. Place on a greased cookie sheet cut side down and roast for about 45 minutes or until tender. Set the squash aside to cool. Melt butter in a saucepan. Add onion, salt, and pep­per and sauté until onions are translucent. Once squash has cooled, pureé in a blender with cream. Add the squash & cream mix­ture to shal­lots along with apple juice, cinnamon, and parmesan cheese. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low, sim­mer­ing for 10 min­utes. Makes roughly 3 cups of sauce, depend­ing on the size of your squash.






I think this sauce would be great with some fresh made pasta, but I was not in the mood to make any, nor did I have any fresh pasta in the house.

2 comments:

  1. This is quite interesting! I never thought to make a sauce out of butternut squash. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked this idea.

    I ended up adjusting things slightly less and making it with Acorn squash but it turned out great. (Made it without butter just a little oil instead, Half & Half instead of heavy cream, Yolk Free noodles).

    According to Weight Watchers one serving came out to 7-9 points (depending on whether I claimed 2tbsp or oil or 1tbsp...it was the only thing I didn't measure).

    ReplyDelete