7.14.2009

Buffalo Chicken Sandwich with Roasted Sweet Potatoes

One of my favorite snack foods is boneless buffalo chicken fingers without blue cheese (I hate blue cheese). One day while grocery shopping I came across Ken's Steak House Marinade Buffalo Wing Sauce and I bought it hoping it would be delicious; it was more than delicious! I marinated some chicken breast in the sauce and knew I wanted to make a sandwich with it. I love caramelized onions and figured they would add a nice sweetness to this, but I was stumped as to what to put on it for a topping. I hate blue cheese and figured mayonnaise would be too boring, thus buffannaise was born. I like to think that buffannaise is an original concept, but it's probably not. I just mixed some mayonnaise and buffalo sauce with some dill (later I changed it to chives, but both are equally delicious).

I usually just serve this sandwich with french fries, but was feeling adventurous, especially since I downloaded the epicurious app to my iphone. I wanted to serve a starch with this sandwich and for some reason was craving sweet potatoes. I simply looked up sweet potatoes as an ingredient on my iphone and came across the recipe for roasted sweet potatoes with lime syrup and chives.

Ingredients & Directions

Buffalo Chicken Sandwich with Caramelized Onions & Buffannaise

Chicken Breast (one breast per sandwich, 1/2 breast if you want less)
Romaine Lettuce
2 Large Onions
1 T Butter
1 T Olive Oil
1/2 tsp sugar
1/4 C Mayonnaise
Ken's Steak House Marinade Buffalo Wing Sauce (My Favorite!)
1/2 T Chives or Dill
Roll or Bread of Choice

Trim the chicken breast and then marinate with the Buffalo Sauce Marinade. Set aside in refrigerator. Peel and Chop onions. In a frying pan on low heat, place onions, olive oil, butter. Mix thoroughly, and then sprinkle sugar. Cook on low heat until golden, stirring frequently. Once the onions have started
to cook you should grill the chicken. Grill chicken on each side for 5 minutes or until cooked all the way through. Set chicken aside. In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, buffalo sauce, and chives. Mix until blended. Cut Romaine Lettuce so it fits bread size. Finally, you need to put the sandwich together. I usually cut the chicken breast in half, spread buffannaise on the top side of the bread, place lettuce on top of chicken, and then finally place caramelized onions on the lettuce and eat!

Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Lime Syrup and Chives
(via epicurious)

3 1/2 lb sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (10 cups)
1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter, melted
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1/2 teaspoon finely grated fresh lime zest
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives

Preheat oven to 450°F. Toss potatoes with butter, salt, and pepper in a bowl until coated well, then spread in 1 layer in 2 shallow baking pans (15 by 10 by 1 inch) and roast, uncovered, switching position of pans halfway through roasting, until potatoes are tender and undersides are browned, 15 to 20 minutes total. While potatoes roast, bring water, sugar, and lime juice to a boil in a very small saucepan, stirring until sugar is dissolved, then simmer until reduced to about 3 tablespoons, 3 to 4 minutes. Toss potatoes with syrup and zest in a large bowl, then sprinkle with chives.





Making the lime syrup is fast and easy and I can imagine it going well with many other vegetables.

I love grilling chicken and usually on a med-high heat you can grill a piece of chicken in 10 minutes (5 minutes on each side).


I finally bought a zester!!! You probably don't realize how exciting this is to me.




You can serve the meal with a few pieces of lime and drizzle a little fresh lime juice over the sweet potatoes for an extra kick or just leave it on your plate as a decoration.


No comments:

Post a Comment