6.30.2009

Asian Chicken Salad


This past weekend I went to my cousin's 16th birthday party. As always there was tons of delicious foods and dessert, but one thing stood out for me. The Asian chicken salad. My aunt used to make this all the time for many family parties and recently when she was talking about what to make for this one, the salad was mentioned. We agreed that it should be made and then I forgot about it until I arrived at the party. I had quite a few servings. This is one of my favorite things my aunt makes. I decided that I needed more of it this week and didn't take any leftovers home, so here is my aunt's recipe, which I believe is taken from The Pillsbury Chicken Cookbook.

Ingredients & Directions:

1/4 C soy sauce
1/4 C water
1 whole chicken breast (cut into thin crosswise strips)
1 8oz can of sliced water chestnuts, drained
1 C julienned carrots
1/2 C diagonally sliced scallions
1/4 C sugar
1/2 C oil
1/3 C white wine vinegar
1/2 tsp ginger
1 1/2 C finely chopped red cabbage
1 C chow mein noodles

Bring soy sauce and water to a boil in a large skillet. Add chicken , reduce heat, cover and simmer for 5-8 minutes. Drain and cool. Combine water chestnuts, carrots, onions and chicken. In small container combine sugar, oil, vinegar, and ginger. Shake well. Pour over salad. Toss in cabbage and chow mein noodles just before serving.

When you are cutting the scallions try cutting them at a diagonal. They just look better in the salad that way!

To keep things simple you can always buy carrots pre-julienned too. It may cost a little more, but it will definitely save time.


You can make the dressing ahead of time if you want to and let it sit in the refrigerator to chill.


If you want to keep the chow mein noodles crunchy, add them just before serving.

One of the great things about this salad is that it is easy to make ahead of time (great for parties, dinner, or lunch) and it even tastes better as it sits. The salad also looks pretty and will be sure to garner compliments.

No comments:

Post a Comment